Last night Turning Point, (a non-profit organization founded by VCC) Vineyard Community Church partnered with the Center for Human Services and the families that live at Ballinger Homes partnered together for the residents annual “Festival of Lights” party. Ballinger Homes is a low-income apartment community owned and operated by the King County Housing Authority. The Center for Human Services runs the “Family Support Center” in conjunction with many community partners.
Ballinger Homes is home to 110 families, the majority of whom are immigrants from all over the world. Turning Point and Vineyard provided gifts (gender and age appropriate) and food and volunteers for the event. We have served this community for four years. We love these families! Before the kids went to the gift station they first filled out a paper with their name, age and
“Wish Upon a Star”, we asked them for a life wish, not for things. Here are some quotes:
- “to stop world hunger and let people get along with each other more and I wish to have a digital camera” Female age 13
- “I want to be a doctor. I wish the war would end” Female age 15
- “I want to become a doctor and hope to get a job in the UN to work in poor countries” Female age 17
- “I wish to go back to camp (YMCA summer camp) and to bring all my friends with me” Female age 14
- “I wish to be a teacher. I wish for my parents to have a nice life in the future for all the nice things they have done for me” Male age 13
- “I want to be Cinderella” Female age 5
- “my wish is for my sister to come to America to be with our family” Female age 14
- “I wish for the homeless and the sick to have a place to live and a healthy life” Male age 15.5
- “I wish for better grades at school and be better at basketball” Male age 16
- “to be a football star” Male age 13
- “to be able to help people in need through medicine. I always wanted to help others because others have helped me in the past” Male age 18
- “I want to be an artist” Male age 12
- “In my life I want to be a kids’ doctor because I like kids” Male age 17
As you can see, I don’t have the formatting for WordPress down and I have spent way too long trying to format…I also tried to upload some pictures can’t figure it out.
The night was great. The generosity of time, presence, gifts and more is what VCC and TP do best!
I think I have landed on the title for my dissertation…The Practicing Church…this will reflect the journey we have been on. A few of the areas I will concentrate on:
What are the practices of a church organized around the mission of God in areas of:
1. Spiritual formation