Rose Madrid-Swetman

— Random Thoughts, Stories of Life, and Questions about the Journey —

July 22, 2008

A Little Help Please

Category: All Posts,Mission,Questions about the Journey – Rose – 2:48 pm

I am writing my dissertation on morphing a conventional church into a mission-focused community. I need to read those that would disagree with my thesis and those that are trying to solve the problem another way. Any suggestions? I am thinking of a couple:
Pagan Christianity
maybe DA Carson
maybe (I can’t believe I am saying this) Mark Driscoll

6 Comments »

1. How about:

Barna’s ‘Revolutions’, for it’s post church mission focus/hopes, and “The Shaping of Things to Come’ Frost and Hirsch, for another post church mission contrast?

Comment by Jason Clark — July 22, 2008 @ 11:15 pm

2. Thanks Jason. Those are good choices. I was also considering authors who might state that nothing needs to change or that come at it from still another angle. I guess Viola would come from the post church angle as well. Jason who would you recommend that would be anti-missional or emergent?

Comment by rose — July 23, 2008 @ 12:43 pm

3. Dobson and Focus on the Family seem somewhat anti-missional/emergent. I think that’s what their “Truth Project” was in response to.

Comment by Jake — July 23, 2008 @ 8:30 pm

4. The sequel to “Pagan Christianity?” is out now. It’s called “Reimagining Church”. It picks up where “Pagan Christianity” left off and continues the conversation. (“Pagan Christianity” was never meant to be a stand alone book; it’s part one of the conversation.) “Reimagining Church” is endorsed by Leonard Sweet, Shane Claiborne, Alan Hirsch, and many others. You can read a sample chapter at
    It’s also available on Amazon.com. Frank is also blogging now at http://www.frankviola.wordpress.com

Comment by Jill — July 29, 2008 @ 7:06 pm

5. Maybe Ed Stetzer, his book ‘planting missional churches’, but I guess you know of that work, being familiar with Mark Driscoll.

Given it has the word missional in the title, you could tease apart, how the missional it portrays is so different to 1) the post church missional of Hirsch/Frost, 2) It is located in the in church missional of Driscoll, and 3) how that compares with the missional you are engaging in, a missional via media perhaps?

At least it would be interesting for me to read you do that, based around your missional praxis and learnings 🙂

Comment by Jason Clark — August 2, 2008 @ 1:05 am