Rose Madrid-Swetman

— Random Thoughts, Stories of Life, and Questions about the Journey —

November 6, 2008

What Do You Think About These Contrasting Views?

Category: All Posts,Questions about the Journey – Rose – 8:52 pm

would really like to know your thoughts because this kind of stuff confounds me.
This from Sojourners
This election has shown that thtch e era of single-issue voting is over and a broader moral agenda that seeks common ground on moral issues has begun. Members of Black churches, Catholics, evangelicals, Latinos, and mainline Protestants are acting on a broad set of biblical values. I look forward to the day when both poverty reduction and abortion reduction become nonpartisan issues and bipartisan causes.

Please join me in offering President-elect Obama our prayers and our actions as he assumes the responsibility of leading our nation in a very challenging time.

And then this from Dutch Sheets who represents the very Right/Charismatic stream of the Church.

9 Comments »

1. Wow, I just realized who Dutch Sheets is. My wife has one of his books, Intercessory Prayer. And after reading that, I can’t say I like him anymore. Just crazy how extreme some people can go with this election stuff… God WILL use whoever is in office, had it been McCain or Obama. Neither is the Messiah or the devil, both will have done some good things and some bad things. Sheesh.

Comment by Jake — November 7, 2008 @ 9:21 am

2. It’s hard to know what to say to/about someone who is so sure he’s speaking for God. Hard, in fact, to imagine a productive conversation between these two views — and they’re both represented in the church.

I tend to agree with Sojourners that the era of single-issue voting is over. There will be those who cling to that position, but I think they will become more and more marginalized in the political process. McCain’s reaching out to a lightweight running mate like Sarah Palin to appeal to that crowd is probably an indication.

Comment by Maria — November 7, 2008 @ 10:47 am

3. Hi, I’ve been lurking for a while reading your blog. Your question today has drawn me out of hiding.

Sojourner’s makes me a little sick, because so much of their hope seems to be tied up in political action.

Dutch Sheets makes me a little sick because he seems so sure he knows the priorities of God.

But in the end, the call for prayer and action, which both letters end with, is something I completely agree with.

Comment by Michael — November 7, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

4. Rose, I’ve been influenced by Dutch Sheets for years in the area of intercessory prayer. I know he really felt prayer was what has held back an onslaught against our nation. Particularly after 9/11, he traveled throughout the nation calling people to pray. He would often say that the Word says we are to pray for our leaders. I don’t know why that would change no – just because the elected leader wasn’t his choice.

Honestly, I have felt a bit of sadness these past couple of days. I know that you were excited about Barak Obama, so I thought of you on election night (in a good way)!

My pastor is really challenging us to LIVE as though the kingdom of God really is here. Every morning I pray with a group of teachers that His Kingdom would come on earth as it is in Heaven. Without getting into a doctrinal discussion, something is happening inside of me where I realize that on a grand scale I might not be much of an influence. But, one person at a time, if I can just get my head about how to live full out for God, I have to believe “Christ in me” will touch those around me. I’m done having to have all the right spiritual lingo. I’m not going to keep saying Jesus loves people – I’m going to figure out how to love people. Again, my pastor reminded us that when we run back to the Father and discover again His love for us, we will have a perfect example of how love is expressed.

I would love for poverty reduction and abortion reduction to be nonpartisan. How else can they be nonpartisan but in the context of the love of a Creator for His creation?

In the end, I will be obedient and pray for those in authority over me. My heart is very aware that I must live for an audience of One. So, it’s back to the Book again to revisit how Jesus did things.

Comment by Zema — November 7, 2008 @ 7:42 pm

5. nicely put Zema

Comment by Rich Swetman — November 8, 2008 @ 9:47 am

6. My job as a community health nurse takes me to a non descript little house where a couple of Catholic women daily serve the under served. They provide free preg. tests, counsel, clothes and baby items for women who hadn’t planned to be pregnant. They are clearly pro life but express it in this humble practical way. I wonder about those, quote, prophets who seem to delight in pronouncing judgement on America yet do nothing practical to help the poor. I think everyone would be better off if we stopped moralizing and started doing something that actually made a difference.

Comment by ellie — November 8, 2008 @ 12:44 pm

7. I would be so happy if we could quit bifurcating both the gospel and how we live it into “personal salvation or social justice” or “prayer vs service” it is all the gospel — God is about putting the entire cosmos right — we need to both pray and “do” …

Comment by rose — November 8, 2008 @ 2:15 pm

8. This election has been interesting, because more than before I have seen the dividing party lines usually present be split in different and surprising ways. Even in my church, I would say it was split about 50/50 on who everyone was voting for–not in a bad, combative way…but in a “we have different opinions and that’s ok” sort of way. I like what Zema said. If we all lived to help bring the Kingdom about more fully…really loving God fully and loving others more than myself…the government wouldn’t have to deal with a lot of stuff like poverty relief because the Church would be taking care of it. Complaining about a problem does nothing unless one is willing to be part of the solution.

Comment by Audrey — November 13, 2008 @ 10:29 am